Glossary of Sonographic and Obstetric Terms
- Health test of the fetus by analyzing the chromosomes in the amniotic fluid obtained by inserting a needle through the abdomen into the pregnancy.
- The fertilized ovum until the end of week 8.
- The embryo from the beginning of week 9 to birth.
- Sex determination (boy or girl).
- The early phallus.
- Two folds that form the scrotum in the male or labia in the majora in the female.
- Dating to the pregnancy from the first day of the LMP is called gestation.
- The true age of the fetus (fertilization age) is two weeks less
than gestational fetal age is the number of weeks from conception 12 weeks
gestational age is 10 weeks of fetal age.
- Precursor of the clitoris or penis.
- The organ between the fetus and mother for nutrients and gaseous exchange.
- The nine calendar months of gestation is divided into 3-month periods called trimesters.
- Age from the date of fertilization. Gestation is 38 weeks.
- High frequency low energy sound vibrations passed through tissues to determine and present as a visual display the location and size of areas within the body.
*Color photographs and glossary (with permission) from: A Color Atlas of Life Before Birth, Dr. M. England, Year Book Medical Publishers.